Professional Activities -
On July 1, 2012, Wolfgang Kellerer became full professor
at Technische Universität München
for the Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze.
PhD positions are available: Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter
See also Research.
Recent activities and upcoming events
- H. Lundqvist, D. Jurca, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer. Service Program Mobility:
A New Paradigm for Mobile Operators’ Service Delivery. Journal of Communications (JCM) Special Issue on IP Communications Services, Vol 7, No 2, 2012, pp. 106-114.
- Wolfgang Kellerer has received the DOCOMO Euro-Labs Company Award 2011.
- 5th ITG/GI KuVS Workshop on Next Generation Service Delivery Platforms-
5. ITG/GI Fachgespräch NG SDP. DOCOMO Euro-Labs, Munich, Germany, October 11, 2011.
- A. Khan. K. Kozu, W. Kellerer, M. Yabusaki.
Network Sharing in Next Mobile Network: TCO Reduction, Management Flexibility and Operational Independence.
Feature topic on Traffic Management for Mobile Broadband Networks.
IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 10, October 2011, pp. 134-142.
- Wolfgang Kellerer has been elected to an IEEE Senior Member.
- Workshop on Advances in Mobile Networking
– Towards a Next Generation Mobile Core Network. In conjunction with IEEE ICC 2011, Kyoto, Japan, June 9, 2011.
- K. Römer, B. Ostermaier, F. Mattern, M. Fahrmair, W. Kellerer. Real-Time Search for Real-World Entities: A Survey.
Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Sensor Network Applications, Vol. 98, Issue 11, Nov. 2010, pp. 1887 - 1902.
- W. Galuba, P. Papadimitratos, M. Poturalski, K. Aberer, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer.
CASTOR: Scalable Secure Routing for Ad-hoc Networks. IEEE INFOCOM 2010 main conference,
San Diego, March 15-19, 2010.
- W. Galuba, K. Aberer, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer.
Can Social Networks Help BitTorrent? IEEE CCNC 2010, Las Vegas, USA, Jan. 2010, received the IEEE CCNC 2010 best student paper award.
- Organization of 1st GI/ITG KuVS Workshop on Next Generation Service Delivery Platforms -
1. GI/ITG KuVS Fachgespräch NGN SDP, November 13th, 2009 in Berlin, Germany.
- October 2009: RFC 5631 assigned to R. Shacham, H. Schulzrinne, S. Thakolsri, W. Kellerer.
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Mobility . -
RFC 5631 - as part of the latest SIP standard update.
- Organization of 3rd GI/ITG KuVS Workshop on The Future Internet -
3. GI/ITG KuVS Fachgespräch Future Internet, May 28th, 2009 in Munich, Germany.
- Elected as a member of the Steering Board of the GI/ITG Technical Committee on Communication and Distributed Systems ( Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme, KuVS), March 4, 2009.
- Awarded with the annual award of the
German Society for Information Technology (VDE ITG) "ITG-Preis" for outstanding scientific publications.
Award ceremony on Nov. 25, 2008 at the Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Am Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin.
- IEEE ICC 2009 Co-Chair for the Communications Software and Services Symposium, IEEE Intl. Conference on Communications, Dresden, Germany, June 14-18, 2009.
- Online Tutorial on Peer-to-Peer available by IEEE ComSoc: W. Kellerer, S. Zöls, G. Kunzmann: Peer-to-Peer Technologies for Next Generation Communication Systems - Basic Principles and Advanced Issues. IEEE Tutorials NOW, 2007.
- Guest editor for the
IEEE Communications Magazine Feature Topic
Advances in Service Platform Technologies for Next Generation Mobile Systems - Part 1 & Part 2,
Vol. 44, No 8, August 2006 and Vol. 44, No 9, September 2006.
- Lecturer at Munich University of Technology for
Advanced Network Architectures and Services (ANAS_1), current lecture: winter semester 2011/2012 (3 SWS, course number 72454).
Some selected recent publications
- T. Biermann, C. Choi, H. Karl, W. Kellerer. CoMP Clustering and Backhaul Limitations in Cooperative Cellular Mobile Access Networks. Accepted for Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Wiley.
- H. Lundqvist, D. Jurca, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer. Service Program Mobility: A New Paradigm for Mobile Operators’ Service Delivery. Journal of Communications (JCM) Special Issue on IP Communications Services, Vol 7, No 2, 2012, pp. 106-114.
- H. Lundqvist, Z. Despotovic, G. Kunzmann, J. Frtunikj, W. Kellerer. Service Program Mobility – Dynamic Service Roaming. IEEE Globecom 2011, Mobile Computing and Emerging Communication Networks Workshop (MCECN), December 5-9, 2011, Houston, USA.
- T. Biermann, L. Scalia, C. Choi, H. Karl, W. Kellerer. Backhaul Network Pre-Clustering in Cooperative Cellular Mobile Access Networks. IEEE WoWMoM 2011, Lucca, Italy, June 20-24, 2011.
- S. Thakolsri, W. Kellerer, E. Steinbach. QoE-based cross-layer optimization of wireless video with unperceivable temporal video quality fluctuation. IEEE ICC 2011, Kyoto, Japan, June 5-10, 2011.
- T. Hossfeld, F. Lehrieder, D. Hock, S. Oechsner, Z. Despotovic, M. Michel, W. Kellerer. Characterization of BitTorrent Swarms and their Distribution in the Internet. Elsevier Computer Networks Journal (COMNET), Volume 55, Issue 5, 1 April 2011, pp. 1197-1215.
- M. Bienkowski, A. Feldmann, D. Jurca, W. Kellerer, G. Schaffrath, S. Schmid, J. Widmer. Competitive Analysis for Service Migration in VNets. ACM SIGCOMM VISA’10 workshop in conjunction with ACM SIGCOMM 2010, New Dehli, India, Aug. 30 – Sept. 3, 2010.
- F. Lehrieder, S. Oechsner, T. Hossfeld, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer, M. Michel. Can P2P-Users Benefit from Locality-Awareness? IEEE Intl. Conf. on P2P Computing, Delft, Netherlands, Aug. 25-27, 2010.
- Z. Despotovic, Q. Hofstaetter, M. Michel, W. Kellerer. An Operator Approach to Popularity-based Caching in DHTs. IEEE ICC 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, May 23-27, 2010.
- M. Michel, S. Agarwal, A. Feldmann, W. Kellerer. Toward QoE-aware Optimum Cache Sizes for Video-on-Demand Systems. IEEE ICC 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, May 23-27, 2010.
- S. Zoels, Q. Hofstätter, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer. Achieving and Maintaining Cost-Optimal Operation of a Hierarchical DHT System. IEEE Intl. Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2009), Dresden, Germany, June 14-18, 2009.
- B. Maryam Elahi, K. Römer, B. Ostermaier, W. Kellerer, M. Fahrmair. Sensor Ranking: A Primitive for Efficient Content-based Sensor Search. The 8th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN’09), April 13-16, 2009, San Francisco, USA.
- C. Frank, P. Bolliger, F. Mattern, W. Kellerer. The Sensor Internet at Work: Locating Everyday Items Using Mobile Phones. Elsevier Journal on Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 421-447, June 2008. PDF version
- S. Zoels, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer. On Hierarchical DHT Systems – An Analytical Approach for Optimal Designs. Computer Communications (COMCOM), Elsevier, Vol 31, Issue 3 (February 2008) , pp. 576-590. Article for free download
- S. Khan, S. Duhovnikov, E. Steinbach, W. Kellerer.
MOS-based Multi-user Multi-application Cross-layer Optimization for Mobile Multimedia Communication. Journal of Advances in Multimedia (AM), Special issue on Cross-layer Optimized Wireless Multimedia Communications. Volume 2007, Article ID 94918. Article for free download
- R. Shacham, H. Schulzrinne, S. Thakolsri, W. Kellerer.
Ubiquitous Device Personalization: The Next Generation of IP Telephony. In
ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (TOMCCAP), Vol 3, Issue 2, May 2007, Article No. 12.
(ACM TOMCCAP) - awarded with the "ITG Preis 2008"
- S. Zoels, Z. Despotovic, W. Kellerer.
Cost-Based Analysis of Hierarchical DHT Design.
In proc. 6th IEEE Intl. Conference on P2P Computing, Sept. 6-8, Cambridge, UK.
Since July 2012 Wolfgang Kellerer (IEEE M'96, SM'11) is full professor and head of the Institute of Communication Networks in the Faculty of Electrical
Engineering and Information Technology of the Technische Universität München, Germany.
His research area covers methods and systems for mobile as well as fixed communication networks as an infrastructure for future Internet communication.
Focus of his work are concepts for the dynamic control of network infrastructure (Software Defined Networking) based on network virtualization,
self-organizing networks and service platforms, high-speed optical networks and resource management in mobile networks, as well as the support
of emerging applications such as Smart Grid und e-Mobility.
Dr. Wolfgang Kellerer studied Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at the Technische Universität München.
From 1996 - 2001 he was a member of the research and teaching staff of the Institute of Communication Networks at TUM,
where he received his doctoral degree (Dr.-Ing.) in January 2002.
In 2001 he was a visiting researcher at the Information Systems Laboratory of Stanford University, California, US.
Before he joined TUM, Dr. Kellerer pursued an industrial career being more than ten years with
DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH ,
NTT DOCOMO's European research institute in Munich, Germany. His last position was head of the research department for wireless communication and networking
working on research topics in the area of mobile service platforms, peer-to-peer networking, ad-hoc and sensor networks QoE-based traffic management,
network virtualization, cross-layer design, wireless access and optical transport.
From 2003 to 2012 he was also lecturing at TUM on Advanced Network Architectures and Services.
For 2004 and 2005 he has served as the elected Vice Chairman of the Working Group 2
(Service Architecture for the Wireless World) of the Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF).
He has been member of the editorial board of Elseviers International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications
Networking (COMNET) from 2005 - 2010, he is a steering board member of the IEEE International
Conference series on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P) and has served as guest editor for an IEEE Communications
Magazine feature topic in 2006. He serves as an reviewer for the European Commission and several other
research programs. He has published more than 100 papers in respective journals, conferences and workshops in the
area of service platforms and mobile networking and is inventor/co-inventor of more than 40 patents and patent applications
in this area. For one of his outstanding
scientific publications he has been awarded with the ITG Award 2008 of the German EE society VDE.
Wolfgang Kellerer is a member of the Steering Board of the GI/ITG Technical Committee on Communication and
Distributed Systems (Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme, KuVS) and a Senior Member of IEEE.