Professional Activities -
NOTE: After 2012 this list is continued on my home page at TUM: http://www.lkn.ei.tum.de
Lecturing and Tutorials
Technical Program Comittees
Chairmanships and Editorial Activities
- Co-chair of the
IEEE ICC 2012 Workshop on Clouds, Networks and Data Centers, in conjunction with IEEE ICC 2012, Ottawa, Canada, June 10-15, 2012.
- Organization of the 38th expert meeting of the
VDE/ITG-Fachgruppe 5.2.4 Mobilität in IP-basierten Netzen, "Mobile Traffic Management", Munich, Germany, March 13, 2012.
- Organization of the GI/ITG KuVS 5th Fachgespräch NG Service Delivery Platforms , “Advanced Service Delivery Platforms for Mobile Networks”
October 11, 2011 at DOCOMO Euro-Labs, Munich, Germany.
- IEEE International Conferences on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P), steering board member.
- Co-chair of the 1st GI/ITG
KuVS Workshop Series on Next Generation Service Delivery Platforms
- 1. GI/ITG KuVS Fachgespräch NGN SDP, November 13th, 2009 in Berlin, Germany.
- 3rd GI/ITG KuVS Workshop on The Future Internet chair,
3. GI/ITG KuVS Fachgespräch Future Internet, May 28th, 2009 in Munich, Germany.
- Ninth International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P2009), steering board member, Seattle, Washington, USA, September 8-11, 2009.
- IEEE ICC 2009 Co-Chair for the Communications Software and Services Symposium, IEEE Intl. Conference on Communications, Dresden, Germany, June 14-18, 2009.
- ACM MobiSys 2009 workshop chair, 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services, June 22-25, 2009 in Kraków, Poland. - call for workshop proposals -
- TPC Vice-chair for the IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking (CCNC 2009) Conference, Peer-to-Peer and Content Delivery Track, Las Vegas, January 10-13, 2009.
- TPC Co-Chair for the 8th International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P 2008) , Aachen, Germany, September 2008.
- Co-Chair for IFIP/IEEE DSOM, 19th IFIP/IEEE Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM), Samos Island, Greece, Sept. 22-26, 2008 as part of MANWEEK 2008.
- Co-Chair of SPMS 2008 - The 4th Intl. Workshop on Next Generation Service Platforms for Future Mobile Systems, in conjunction with SAINT 2008, Espoo, Finland, July 28 - Aug. 1, 2008.
- Industry Liason Chair for the 7th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P 2007) , Galway, Ireland, Sept. 2-5, 2007.
- Steering board member of ASWN 2007, Santander, Spain, May 24-26, 2007.
- Chair of
IEEE/IPSJ SPMS 2007 - The 3rd Intl. Workshop on Next Generation Service Platforms for Future Mobile Systems,
in conjunction with SAINT 2007, Hiroshima, Japan, January 15-19, 2007.
- Member of Industrial Advisory Board of the Eurpean project
IST PLASTIC (Providing Lightweight and Adaptable Service Technology for pervasive Information and Communication)
- TPC Chair of the 6th International Workshop on Applications and Services in Wireless Networks (ASWN2006), Berlin, Germany, May 29-31, 2006
- Editorial board member of Springer Service Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA) Journal.
- Guest editor for the
IEEE Communications Magazine Feature Topic
Advances in Service Platform Technologies for Next Generation Mobile Systems - Part 1,
Vol. 44, No 8, August 2006
Part2: to appear in September 2006
- Area editor for Elseviers
International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking (COMNET)
- TPC Chair of IEEE/IPSJ SAINT 2006 2nd workshop on Next Generation IP-based Service Platforms for
Future Mobile Systems (SPMS2006), Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Jan. 23-27, 2006.
- TPC Chair of ITG Workshop on Ad-hoc, Sensor and Mesh Networking: Opportunities for Future Networks, Munich, Germany, February, 10-11, 2005.
- TPC Chair of Workshop on Next Generation IP-based Service Platforms for Future Mobile Systems as part of IEEE/IPSJ SAINT 2005, Trento, Italy, Jan. 31, 2005.
Standardization and Forums
- Ongoing contribution to 3GPP standardization in SA1 in the area of Mobile Traffic Management and,
in particular, User Plane Congestion Notification (UPCON).
- RFC 5631: R. Shacham, H. Schulzrinne, S. Thakolsri, W. Kellerer.
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Mobility , October 2009. -
RFC 5631 - part of the latest SIP standard update.
- Elected Vice Chairman of WG2 (Service Architecture for the Wireless World) of the
Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF) for 2004 and 2005.
- Ongoing contribution to 3GPP standardization in SA1 and SA2 in the area of Multimedia Session Continuity -
for an overview on the topic see the technical study document
- J. Lee, H. Schulzrinne, W. Kellerer, Z. Despotovic. SIP URI Service Discovery using DNS-SD, IETF Internet Draft, SIP WG, draft-lee-sip-dns-sd-uri-02, November 2007
- H. Schulzrinne, R. Shacham, S. Thakolsri, W. Kellerer. Composing Presence Information.
IETF Internet Draft, SIPPING WG, draft-schulzrinne-simple-composition-02, June 2006.
- R. Shacham, H. Schulzrinne, W. Kellerer, S. Thakolsri. Specifying Media Privacy Requirements in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).
IETF Internet Draft, SIPPING WG, draft-shacham-sip-media-privacy-02, June 2006.
Patents granted (status: March 2012)
(details via search on http://ep.espacenet.com or on http://publikationen.dpma.de)
- Caching References in DHTs. EP 2211525 (2011).
- Optimal Operation of Hierarchical Distributed hash Table. JP 4652435 (2010).
- Forward Feedback Protocol. EP 1954003 (2012).
- A Superpeer and a Method for Operating a Superpeer Capable of Load Balancing in a Hierarchical Peer-to-Peer System. EP 1926276 (2008).
- In-Network Multiple Description Media Transcoding for Multi-Path Transmission. EP1931148 (2011).
- Method and Apparatus for Controlling a Transmission of Data. EP1835668 (2008).
- Apparatus and Method for Determining Transmission Policies for a Plurality of Applications of Different Types. EP1798897 (2008).
- Method and Apparatus for Mobility Churn Handling for Peer-to-Peer Lookup Systems. EP1802070 (2008).
- Method, Apparatus and Program Products for Management of Information about Shared Files in a Mobile Network. EP1813074 (2012).
- Apparatus for predictively encoding a sequence of frames. EP 1836854 (2009).
- Method and apparatus for preference building to be used in service discovery. EP1807773 (2010).
- Apparatus and method for generating a transmit frame. EP1757100 (2008).
- Zone-based Peer-to-Peer. EP 1741270 (2009).
- Compression scheme negotiation. EP1726139 (2009).
- Mobile Peer-to-Peer Network. EP1673924 (2009).
- Aparatus and method for controlling an operation of a plurality of communication layers. EP1673923 (2009).
- Aparatus and method for controlling an operation of a plurality of communication layers in a layered communication scenario. EP1678920 (2007).
- Context propagation in data network. JP4381379 (2011).
- Reconfiguration of Heterogeneous, Programmable platforms by a centralized agent. EP1584209 (2006).
- Verfahren und Vorrichtung zur Steuerung multimedialen Informations- und Kommunikationsdiensten /Method and device for the control of multimedia information and communication services. EP1678920 31.05.2007. Publication info: US2004044719 – 2004-03-04. (Siemens)
- Kommunikationssystem in einem Fahrzeug. DE10008715C2 09.10.2003. (BMW)
- Verfahren zur Übertragung von Informationen an einen Empfänger/ Method for transmission of information to a receiver. EP1128630 09.11.2006
Publication info: ES2270906T - 2007-04-16. (BMW)
- System zur Datenübertragung von einem Anbieter zu einem Benutzer.
DE19910023C2 18.07.2002. (Rohde & Schwarz)
Patent applications published (status: March 2012)
(details via search on http://ep.espacenet.com or on http://publikationen.dpma.de)
and further 7 patent applications filed to the patent office.
- Smooth temporal perceived video quality based resource allocation optimization for video delivery service. EP2434826 (2012).
- Tuneable QoE-based network resource allocation for video streaming applications. EP2429237 (2012).
- QoE-based resource allocation and decision for IUT service. EP 2429190 (2012).
- A new algorithm to select a rate shaping scheme based on the provided QoE information for video streaming applications. EP2362599 (2011).
- Method and apparatus for tagging a social environment. EP 2242235 (2010).
- Real-world object search through mobile phones based on global-network-assisted position-based routing. EP 2088750 (2009)
- Real-world object search through mobile phones based on distributed exchange of cached information. EP 2088749 (2009).
- Networked system for automatic trading of personalized assets. Publication info: WO2006015628 - 2006-02-16.
Lecturing and Tutorials
- Lecturer at Munich University of Technology on
Advanced Network Architectures and Services (ANAS_1) in winter semester 2010/2011, WS 2009/2010, WS 2008/2009, WS 2007/2008, WS 2006/2007, WS 2005/2006, WS 2004/2005, SS2004, WS 2003/2004 (3 SWS, course number 72454).
- W. Kellerer, Z. Despotovic, G. Kunzmann, S. Zoels. Peer-to-Peer Communication – Operational Aspects in Heterogeneous Systems. Half-day tutorial at IEEE ICC 2008, Beijing, China, May 19-23, 2008.
- Online Tutorial available by IEEE ComSoc TutorialsNow: W. Kellerer, S. Zöls, G. Kunzmann: Peer-to-Peer Technologies for Next Generation Communication Systems - Basic Principles and Advanced Issues. IEEE Tutorials NOW, 2007.
- W. Kellerer, Z. Despotovic, G. Kunzmann, S. Zoels. Peer-to-Peer Technologies and Applications. IEEE CCNC 2008, Las Vegas, US, Jan. 10-12, 2008.
- W. Kellerer, Z. Despotovic, S. Zoels, G. Kunzmann. Peer-to-Peer - From basic principles to selected advanced topics. Half-Day tutorial at IEEE P2P 2007, Galway, Ireland, September 2-5, 2007.
- W. Kellerer, S. Zöls, G. Kunzmann, J. Eberspächer. Peer-to-Peer
Technologies for Next Generation Communication Systems - Basic Principles and Advanced Issues. Full day tutorial at IEEE Intl. Conference on Communications (ICC 2007), Glasgow, UK. June 24-28, 2007.
- Tutorial on Peer-to-Peer Networks, Applications, and Services. Half- day tutorial at ASWN 2006, Berlin, Germany, May 29-31, 2006.
- Tutorial on Mobile Service Architectures – Protocols and Services. Half-day tutorial at MoMuC 2003, Munich, Germany, Oct. 5-8.
Management of European and National Projects
- Responsible Project Manager in BMBF G-Lab project COMCON (2009 - 2012), board member, WP leader
- Board member in STREP MEDIEVAL (2010-2013)
- Board member in IP SAIL (2010 - 2012)
- Responsible Project Manager in STREP IST SmoothIT (2008 - 2010), board member, WP leader
- Responsible Project Manager in Integrated Project IST SPICE (2005 - 2007), GA member
- Responsible Project Manager in Integrated Project IST MobiLife (2004 - 2006), board member
- Responsible Project Manager in STREP IST SIMPLICITY (2004 - 2005), board member
- Workpackage leader in EURESCOM P1203 (2001 - 2002)
- Project Manager for Project C2 in Bayerischer Forschungsverbund FORSOFT (1997 - 2000)
- Responsibility for/Participation in/Preparation of FORSOFT II, BMBF IPonAir, BMBF FlexiNet, IST SCOUT, IST E2R
Technical Program Committee (TPC) Memberships and Reviews
- TPC member of IEEE Infocom 2013, KiVS 2013
- TPC member of IEEE ICC 2012, IEEE Globecom 2012,...
- TPC member of IEEE Infocom 2011, IEEE ICC 2011, IEEE P2P 2011, KiVS 2011
- TPC member of IEEE Infocom 2010, IEEE ICC 2010, IEEE CCNC 2010, IEEE P2P 2011, IEEE ICDCS 2011
- TPC member of ACM Multimedia 2009, Intl. Teletraffic Congress ITC 2009, IEEE ICC 2009, IEEE CCNC 2009, KiVS 2009, IFIP/IEEE DSOM 2009, MP2P 2009
- TPC member of NGCS 2008, DBISP2P 2008, IEEE WCNC 2008, IEEE CCNC 2008, IW-NTNA 2008, IWSOS 2008, NGI 2008, Internet of Things 2008, IEEE MP2P 2008, Autonomics, SPMU 2008
- TPC member of IPOM 2007, IEEE Globecom 2007 , IWSOS 2007, P2P for handhelds 2007, CROWNCOM 2007, ICSOC 2007, ACM Mobility NGCS 2007, ACM Multimedia MV 2007, IEEE P2P 2007, DBISP2P 2007, ISM 2007, IEEE MP2P 2007, ASWN 2007, ANet 2007, ITG/GI KiVS 2007, GI P2P Information Retrieval 2007.
- TPC member of EUNICE 2006, IWSOS 2006, CROWNCOM 2006, IFIP NGMN 2006, IEEE MP2P 2006, IEEE SAINT 2006, ASWN 2006.
- TPC member of IPOM 2005, ASWN 2005, KiVS 2005 GI/ITG workshop on Peer-to-Peer systems and applications, WWRF 13, WWRF 14, WWRF 15.
- TPC member of WWRF 8bis, WWRF 10, WWRF 11, WWRF 12, IFIP NGMN 2004, ECIS 2004, ASWN 2004.
- Organization committee of 8th Conference on Mobile Multimedia Communications, MoMuC 2003, Oct. 6-8, Munich, Germany.
- TPC member of ASWN 2003.
- Organization committee of DRCN 2000, Munich, Germany, April 9-12, 2000.
- Organization committee of the 4th EUNICE Summer School, Munich, Germany, Aug. 31 – Sept. 3, 1998.
Reviewing for IEEE Communications Magazine, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer Verlag),
Signal Processing: Image Communication (SPIC) (Springer Verlag), IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications,
Springer Verlag book peoposal reviews, Wiley book proposal reviews, ETRI Journal,
International Journal Computer Communications (Elsevier), ACM Mobile Communications and Computing Review (MC2R),
Performance Evaluation: An International Journal (Elsevier), European Transactions in Telecommunications (ETT) (Wiley),
IWSOS 2006, EUNICE 2006, IPOM 2006, ASWN 2006, ASWN 2005, ASWN 2004, ASWN 2003, MP2P 2006, SPMS 2006, SPMS 2005, SAINT 2007, SAINT 2006, PIMRC 2006, PIMRC 2005, IPOM2006
IPOM 2005, ICC 2003, 2004, 2003, GI/ITG P2P workshop 2005, IFIP Networking/NGNM 2004, EWSN 2004,
ECIS 2004,MoMuC 2003, Eurescom Summit 2002 and 2003, ISCC 2001, ISCC 2002, ISCC 2003, INFOCOM 2002,
IPTel 2000, DRCN 2000, IDMS 1999, EUNICE 1998, 1999, ISS 1997